[plug] Writing a language?

Michael Hunt michael.j.hunt at usa.net
Mon Jun 16 18:14:48 WST 2003

On Mon, 2003-06-16 at 11:28, Simon Scott wrote:
> > Depending on exactly what you are going to use the language in, you
> > might just want to consider embedding perl. Its *relatively* simple
> > (compared to writing your own language), and gives you the power of
> > perl!
> >
> > If you need something minimal, a parser built using yacc and lex (flex
> > and bison) might be the way to go.
>
> It looks that way.
>
> The reason I wish to implement my own language is because I want it to be
> *explicitly* minimal if you know what I mean.
>
> Looking at bison and flex, I think Im up for some reading :)
>
> How about interpretted languages though?

You can always look into what the guys at PyPy are doing (implementing
Python in Python). It is certainly a much bigger task than what you are
saying you need to do, but if they can achieve it then your task should
be doable.

For more info visit :-

http://www.europython.org/other/interviews/entries/michael_hudson
(An interview with Michael Hudson one of the hackers of PyPy)

http://codespeak.net/pypy/
(The PyPy Homepage)