[plug] LILO - Timestamp mismatch ! Wot' I do !?!?

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Jun 18 14:06:50 WST 2003

>>My personal suggestion - try GRUB. After all,
>>you can always reinstall LILO if you need to, and GRUB is a good bit
>>less quirky in my experience.
>
> I haven't used grub before, any words of wisdom before I jump in?

Don't remove lilo until you're sure grub is happy. They can co-exist,
though natually only one can live on the MBR at a time. Installing it is
usually not hard - I think that under debian you can just run
"grub-install /dev/hda" . You'll need to have a /boot/grub/menu.lst too,
but you can generate that with "update-grub". You may need to edit the
kernel options and grub root device entries, here are mine:

# kopt=root=/dev/hda5 ro devfs=mount
# groot=(hd0,4)

Note that (hd0,4) is the same as hda5, but in GRUB's disk notation.
Everything starts at zero, not "a" or 1 as in linux. Otherwise it's
pretty simple. "groot" should be the /boot partition, not your root
partition (unless they're the same thing, of course).

run "update-grub" again and all should be well.

It's also possible to install GRUB off a boot floppy if you need to, but
that's a separate thing.

Craig