[plug] Gentoo vs Debian

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Thu Jun 19 12:19:37 WST 2003

>>There is a significant difference between optimised code and
>>un-optimised code; but since every distribution compiles with
>>optimisation on that isn't an issue.  CPU-specific
>>optimisations /can/ make a difference for raw computational
>>stuff (~10-20%) but I didn't notice any subjective
>>differences in responsiveness or anything.

Interesting. I've found that rebuilding the kernel, glibc, and XFree86
with optimisations specific to my CPU has given the system a significant
  boost. Far from massive, but definitely noticeable - especially in 3D
performance. A kernel rebuild is pretty important for performance, and
the other two have lesser but definite effects.

YYMV, of course.

Craig