[plug] How does "signing" work?

Derek Fountain derekfountain at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jun 20 17:00:25 WST 2003

For months now I've read statements like this one from LWN:

"there appears to be no legal impediment that can prevent systems vendors from
requiring kernels to be signed by a private key before they can be run"

I normally think "er, right" and move on. Today it occurred to me to wonder
exactly what the process for "signing" something is.

What actually happens, say on a step by step basis, to enforce this "signing"
enforcement? What technology actually prevents me from running an unsigned
kernel (or whatever) if I want to?

--
"...our desktop is falling behind stability-wise and feature wise to KDE
...when I went to Mexico in December to the facility where we launched gnome,