[plug] [OT] idea for a 'new? domain naming concept

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Mon Jun 23 09:06:26 WST 2003

On Sun, Jun 22, 2003 at 11:58:06PM +0800, Chris Caston wrote:
> I do not recommend allowing people to define their own symbols or
> even have them predefined by local software as I have seen
> already.
> (http://www.sensiva.com/symbolcommander/)

You're joking, I hope.

The Opera browser already handles mouse gestures for navigation.

> This will ensure that you can go to any computer and draw the same
> symbol to access the same website.

That would be VERY limiting in terms of the variety of
distinuishable gestures that can be easily and unambiguously defined
and recognized. Most cultures prefer "alphabets" to hieroglyphics.
Let's not forget the lessons of tens of millennia.

In the modern world, people should be able to carry their
"preferences" around on a keyring USB stick or the like. Not only
could they use that device for gestures, but also to contain secure
copies of their personal data.

That scales much better.