MySQL and GPL was Re: [plug] Database advice - Newbie

Peter Weatherall weatherd at netvtise.com.au
Wed Jun 25 08:13:56 WST 2003

Craig Ringer wrote:

>> Umm not that I have read the MySQL licencing details but I would have
>> thought that it would be similar to the GPL of gcc that allows non GPLed
>> software/applications to be created with it. Anyone got any thoughts
>> on this?
>

> Yeah. That was me having a "brain out to lunch" problem. MySQL is GPL
> not LGPL though, so it really depends on the definition of a
> "derivative work". I don't know enough about this - all I was meaning
> to say before was "look into it". I don't know the status of a product
> that includes a bundled copy of MySQL...
>
> The MySQL site isn't perfectly clear on the matter:
>
> "The software from MySQL AB that you can download from the pages
> listed below, is licensed under the GNU General Public License (GPL)
> <http://www.mysql.com/products/licensing.html> and is provided "as is"
> and is without any warranty.
>
> You need to purchase commercial non-GPL MySQL licenses:
>
>    * If you distribute MySQL Software with your non open source software,
>    * If you want warranty from MySQL AB for the MySQL software,
>    * If you want to support MySQL development"
>
> I was mentioning it because you weren't clear on how the app was to be
> used - whether it was in-house only or what. If it's an in-house only
> app, it's no stress, since only distribution is an issue.
>
> Craig Ringer

Agreed . (almost)
The MySQL site , though written in Svenglish , appears qite clear .
 If  you wnat to distribute your application ,without having to pay for
the  included  MySQL, then you have to GPL it . ( Or have a compatible
OSI licence )
I doesn't matter whether this distribution is in-house or out-house  you
have to GPL it . This may or may not be a bad thing depending upon who
you are distributing it to .
http://opensource.org/licenses/gpl-license.php
Regards