[plug] updatedb & locate

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Thu Jun 26 01:07:20 WST 2003

>>Interesting. Only locate?  Have you tried "ldd `which locate`" to see if
>>it's linking to any unexpected libraries (say, something installed in
>>/usr/local/lib)?
>>

>Output:
>root at Coven:~# ldd `which locate`
>        libintl.so.2 => /usr/lib/libintl.so.2 (0x40022000)
>        libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x4002c000)
>        /lib/ld-linux.so.2 => /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x40000000)

Looks like it's picking up things from the right places.

>>Maybe run "strace locate" and see if you can make any sense of the
>>output. You'll want to redirect stderr to a file (under bash, "strace
>>2>/tmp/trace locate" will do it). This produces a lot of output and can
>>be hard to follow, but can be an important debugging tool for figuring
>>out what's going wrong.

Sorry. I should've been clearer. Prefix the command that crashes with
strace, so if you crash locate with "locate bob" use "strace
2>/tmp/trace locate bob".

>Still stuck :(

Sorry. I haven't worked with andy of the source-based distros, and I
really don't have experience debugging problems with them. The potential
for weird little library build order interactions etc has always scared
me off. I just optimise critical packages on Red Hat or Debian (I use
both on various machines) like the kernel, glibc, XFree86, etc.

Maybe an strace showing the crash will help - otherwise, time to learn
gdb ;-)

Craig Ringer