[plug] [OT] - sorta - Prices - New computer shop

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Thu Jun 26 12:26:17 WST 2003

> Found a new computer shop on Murray St yesterday and wandered in to waste
> time. Result being I got a quote from the guy for a new system. Some of the
> stuff seems VERY cheap.
>
> Liteon CDRW 52x24x52 $85  (can also get ASUS or Sony for the same price)
> Liteon DVD                         $70

OK prices, but Austin's are better. Austin also has pretty good service
these days (or maybe it's just that I'm dealing with the right people now).

As for the brand - IMHO, the Liteon CDRW drives are better. Make sure
you get the newer model with CD-MRW (Mount Rainier) support, it's the
same price usually. The I've noticed that the Liteon drives produce some
EM noise though - something to consider if you've got a nice sound setup.

Craig Ringer