[plug] Migrate HDD on headless server

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Sat Jun 28 17:56:48 WST 2003

James Devenish wrote:
> In message <5.1.0.14.2.20030628094202.00aa4c68 at mail.optusnet.com.au>
> on Sat, Jun 28, 2003 at 09:47:54AM +0800, Weirdo wrote:
>
>>I will have to do all this over ssh.
>

> Does the machine support a serial console?

Almost no normal x86 machines do. I'm only aware of larger OEM servers,
and the new(er) Intel Xeon motherboards.

You can get the Linux kernel to give you a serial console once it's up
and running by booting with
"console=/dev/ttyS0" or "console=/dev/ttyS0 console=/dev/tty0" for both
normal VC and serial console. Of course, this is somewhat painful
without an interface to the bootloader - you could edit your lilo.conf
or menu.lst and add it as a secondary boot option for testing, but
actually selecting it could be interesting.

Craig Ringer