[plug] re: accessing web page

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Sat Jun 28 18:19:02 WST 2003

In message <1056794749.2188.1477.camel at jlmpc>
on Sat, Jun 28, 2003 at 06:05:49PM +0800, Jon Miller wrote:
> The hostname is gateway, the domain name is mmtnetworks.com.au.  If I'm
> try to access www.mmtnetworks.com.au from the internal network, I get
> nothing.

Aha! Some details. Okay, if you want to access www.mmtnetworks.com.au
from within your VPN then routing and encryption are going to be the
main issues. Domain name issues *might* be part of the problem but it
really depends on how the VPN has been set up.

Earlier, you said:

> In message <sefcc0c3.074 at mmtnetworks.com.au>
> on Fri, Jun 27, 2003 at 10:09:51PM +0800, Jon  Miller wrote:
> > @       IN      SOA     gateway.mmtnetworks.com.au. root.mmtnetworks.com.au. (
> [...]
> > gateway     IN      A       192.168.1.3
> [...]
> > www     IN      CNAME   gateway

I think that you haven't told us what domain this zone file is for. I
have some questions (maybe just have a private think about these in case
you get in contact with someone who can visit you and examine your
setup):

 - Is the zone file used to serve mmtnetworks.com.au or
   gateway.mmtnetworks.com.au? (I.e. are you trying to tell us that it
   is a substitute for the public mmtnetworks.com.au zone?)
 - Is this zone file something that has been in long-standing,
   functional use, or does it exist "on a hunch"?
 - Are the contents of this zone file used by clients and if so,
   how / why is it served to them that way?
 - Is 192.168.1.3 the same computer that uses 203.153.229.84?

One possible problem is that the web server may be expecting traffic to
be encrypted (nor not encrypted) and it finds the traffic isn't. It's
not really possible to diagnose your highly site-specific problem based
on generic and sparse information. The problem could be in the real
nitty-gritty of your VPN setup. Personally, I have no CIPE experience so
I wouldn't know about "typical configuration" of CIPE. For someone to
begin to understand the problem, basic questions include:

 - is the name of the web server being resolved properly?
 - can the client packets theoretically be routed to the server and is
   it actually happening?
 - is the server dropping the client packets because they have the wrong
   encryption status?
 - is the client dropping server packets?

James.