[plug] Building Debian Package tree

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Sun Jun 29 11:22:44 WST 2003

On Sun, Jun 29, 2003 at 09:13:22AM +0800, Weirdo wrote:
> I have lots of packages that I want to copy to hard drive. Some are off the
> debian CDs so they should be in a package tree already. How can I put
> packages that aren't in a tree into one? You know they directory structure
> with a packages.gz file.

I could never get apt-ftpmove or the other options to do what I
wanted, so I hacked up a script which holds together my debian
repository. The repository's structure is:

$HOME/debian/incoming - put new files into here and then run script.
$HOME/debian/repository - where the repository itself resides (point
apt.conf here)
$HOME/debian/repository/pool - subdirectories for each package (not
required but handy to keep track of packages with)

And the script that sits in $HOME/debian/update-reposity.sh (and
must be run from $HOME/debian) is at
http://dagobah.ucc.asn.au/debian/update-repository.sh. It's not the
smartest of scripts, but I understood it more than I could get
apt-ftpmove and the like to cooperate. You'll probably want to
modify/improve it to suit :)

HTH,

Bernard.

--