[plug] Reinstalling a gnome nightmare (was: mozilla)

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Sun Jun 29 20:35:46 WST 2003

On Sun, Jun 29, 2003 at 08:21:12PM +0800, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 29, 2003 at 08:07:24PM +0800, James Devenish wrote:
> | Does reinstalling ever fix anything? (I'm hoping the answer is "no".)
>
> The answer is "yes."  I had a very flaky machine which was corrupting
> its filesystem unpredictably being used as a gateway; apt-get --reinstall
> solved its problems temporarily - it limped along for a couple of months
> until it was replaced a few days ago.

In addition to flaky disks, flaky applications! - when gnome
installations break from gconf hanging errors and the sort, this has
always solved the problem for me (except when upgrading to broken
gnome packages).

apt-get --reinstall install `dpkg -S /etc/gconf|sed -e 's/,//g;s/:.*//g'`

Hoping this might help somebody else out there with gnome nightmares :)

Regards,

Bernard.

--
 Bernard Blackham