[plug] PoPToP PPTP server for Linux ->Windows VPN

Ryan ryan at is.as.geeky.as
Mon Jun 30 17:16:11 WST 2003

On Mon, 2003-06-30 at 16:51, Craig Ringer wrote:
> If anybody has worked with roaming windows (l)users needing access to a
> network with a linux gateway, I'd love to hear of your experiences.

Not a Linux solution ... but I have other experiences to speak of in
this area, so I'll mention them anyway :)

I have only done it with Cisco equipment (keep reading).  You are
looking at up to  $200 for the 3DES license and up to $1500 for a 1700
series (in our case) router that can chop it.  Hardware encryption
modules for high load are available.

The client works very nicely in Windows and Linux too.  I can run the
client on my Debian gateway and instantly give every machine behind it
transparent access to the remote VPN network.   It runs nicely when
instigated from behind iptables NAT/masq too.

Now for something a little more generic:

Your next hurdle is when the Windows (l)users want access to network
shares, possibly on very slow links, there is no efficient or pretty way
to do it that I know of.  We use WebDrive
(http://www.southrivertech.com/products/webdrive/index.html) that uses
FTP via SSH on a Debian box that has an NT file server mapped via SMB.
That does not allow concurrent file access/locking, but it is doing the
job for now.  Windows clients mapping anything natively even across a
high speed link is always painful, regardless of what the server is.
Hence FTP et al. solution for now.

I'm wanting to investigate (open)AFS in the future for this and other
needs, but it looks like quite a lifestyle change :)

Ryan