[plug] Linux virus?

Matt Kemner zombie at penguincare.com.au
Sat Mar 1 18:38:56 WST 2003

On Sat, 1 Mar 2003, quoth Bret Busby:

> Could someone please advise whether the message below is, as I believe
> it to be, a viral message, and, whether it is a virus for Linux?

Without seeing the attachment it's impossible to tell you for certain
whether or not it is a virus, let alone a "linux virus", however from your
description it sounds very likely that it is some kind of virus.

> The chinese source address is also suspicious, along with the
> transmission path not including a Debian list, despite the From
> address..
> I have not subscribed to any Debian lists, and I do not use Debian.

Many virii now send to random addresses they find in the sender's
web cache, with the From: address set to other random addresses in their
cache.  In this case I would assume someone had recently a webpage
containing your email address and another webpage mentioning
debian-security

Put the name of the attachment you received into one of the many antivirus
search engines, and it will most likely tell you what sort of virus you
were dealing with.

 - Matt