[plug] ext3 default users + permissions

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Tue Mar 4 22:14:43 WST 2003

On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 09:29:22PM +0800, I am the LinuxAlien wrote:
| I have an ext3 file system and wish to have it mounted so that all users
| have read + write permissions and so that any new files also have the
| permissions.

No you don't.  :P  At least, you might want to, but I don't think the
kernel will let you.   You can get around this in a kludgey way by
chown'ing the directory you want to have world writable to some
innocuous user, then NFS-mounting the directory you want with options to
force the permission in a certain way.  My knowledge of NFS is
rather lacking, though, so I can't help you set that up :(

| also i have a fat32 file system to do the same to

That one's easier.  Mount it with the umask=0 option.  The below is from
my fstab - umask=0 gives all users read/write/execute permission,
showexec stops normal files from being marked as executable, and quiet
stops programs like cp and Konqueror from grizzling about not being able
to chmod files on a FAT32 partition.

/dev/hda6       /win_d  vfat    defaults,umask=0,showexec,quiet 0	0

HTH,

CP.