[plug] ATO: Linux ECI version request

Chris Caston caston at arach.net.au
Wed Mar 5 23:26:37 WST 2003

Hello,

I would just like to register my interest in the development of a
version of ECI for Linux.

I was just signing up to register my PAYG payments summary reports
electronically when to my horror I found that I needed to download a
program that didn't work with my computer!

If could be Linux standards base compliant (LSB) that would be
fantastic.

I have also heard that the ATO has had trouble justifying the
development and maintenance of a Linux version because their are fewer
people using Linux than Windows and Macintosh.

Basically you can get around this by making the software opensource by
releasing the source code under a license such as the GNU General Public
License (GPL)

This would save the ATO a lot of money as Linux developers could,in
their own time, continually improve the software and keep it up to date.

BTW please e-mail me if and when the Linux version is released.

I look forward to doing business in a completely open economy with a
taxation system based on open standards that are completely
non-proprietary.

regards,

Chris Caston

Aptitude Technology