[plug] [link] a lawyer Switches

Peter J. Nicol PeterNicol at vrl.com.au
Fri Mar 7 04:04:30 WST 2003

>  I switched
>  because it worked BETTER and made me more PRODUCTIVE.

Well ... is this the first of many ??

My s.o. prefers OO to word97 (word 97 is the only licenced ver I have) for
footnotes, and she managed to pump out a 20,000 word honours thesis in it.  No big
deal, as I know of many Ph.D.'s set in tek or worse ...

Seriously, I consider Mozilla more productive than IE, and I am sure there are
hackers who can put perl/php/whatever over VB etc ...

I had the misfortune recently to have to work on a Mac (OSX jaguar), and I could
not believe the braindead ideas behind the gui.  Underneath, it was BSD, and it
took me a while to understand (typing 'route' produces nothing useful ...
'netstat -r' was the trick, iirc), but I managed to move teh enire apps directory
to another hd and still have it all work via symlinks ... gotta love *nix ...

I am a bit of a heretic, and I think that M$ has a good set of technologies ...
it's just that I am not prepared to trade them for basic freedoms, and this goes
for Apple (seriously annoyed with them), and, I assume, Sun ...