[plug] [link] a lawyer Switches

Richard Meyer meyerri at au1.ibm.com
Fri Mar 7 08:22:27 WST 2003

----- Forwarded by Richard Meyer/Australia/Contr/IBM on 07/03/2003 08:12 AM
-----

                      "Peter J. Nicol"
                      <PeterNicol at vrl.c        To:       <plug at plug.linux.org.au>
                      om.au>                   cc:
                                               Subject:  RE: [plug] [link] a lawyer Switches
                      07/03/2003 04:04
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      plug

>>  I switched
>>  because it worked BETTER and made me more PRODUCTIVE.

>Well ... is this the first of many ??

>My s.o. prefers OO to word97 (word 97 is the only licenced ver I have) for
>footnotes, and she managed to pump out a 20,000 word honours thesis in it.
No big
>deal, as I know of many Ph.D.'s set in tek or worse ...

>Seriously, I consider Mozilla more productive than IE, and I am sure there
are
>hackers who can put perl/php/whatever over VB etc ...

>I had the misfortune recently to have to work on a Mac (OSX jaguar), and I
could
>not believe the braindead ideas behind the gui.  Underneath, it was BSD,
and it
>took me a while to understand (typing 'route' produces nothing useful ...
>'netstat -r' was the trick, iirc), but I managed to move teh enire apps
directory
>to another hd and still have it all work via symlinks ... gotta love *nix

>I am a bit of a heretic, and I think that M$ has a good set of
technologies ...
>it's just that I am not prepared to trade them for basic freedoms, and
this goes
>for Apple (seriously annoyed with them), and, I assume, Sun ...

>From what I understand, IBM plays similar nasty games with AS400 and S390,
so ...
>bugger em ... I will use the stuff that gives me total freedom ... and be
more
>than happy when this co-incides with increased productivity as well.

Would you care to elucidate? Since I am working in a sweatshop developing
and supporting S/390 software for IBM, I'd appreciate an explanation why I
or the company I am working for should be buggered.

If it wasn't for IBM's support, a number of Linux projects would not be as
advanced as they are now. Particularly Linux on S/390 and AS/400, their
Journalling File System and DB/2 for Linux. A few of my colleagues are
porting OS/390 (z/OS nowadays) software to Linux on S/390.

I AM NOT A SPOKESMAN FOR IBM, but I would appreciate something more
concrete than a blanket "bugger em".

RichardM

DISCALAIMER:

I am not a spokesman for IBM.