[plug] [link] a lawyer Switches

Simon Scott sscott at iinet.net.au
Fri Mar 7 16:51:40 WST 2003

> This is the 'chasing tail-lights' oft-quoted criticism of linux, and to a
largish
> degree I think it is true.  It's pretty funny accusing m$ of stealing ideas,
when
> Linux is a knockoff of unix.

Yes, but I think youll find near 100% of Linux guys will admit it is simply an
implementation of unix. Nothing 'stolen'. Sure, a lot of free/OS software
borrows heavily from other things (including proprietary software ala Gnumeric
vs Excel) but I dont think anyone working on these projects would deny they
are doing it.

Ask MS about the Xerox Parc Alto and theyll give you an answer similar to
McDowell's in 'Coming to America', ie 'They have the golden arches, we have
the golden arcs!' etc. They truly claim the ideas to be their own, even
obtaining patents on ideas which are verifiably not their own.

BIG difference.