[plug] [link] a lawyer Switches

Ben Jensz jensz at wn.com.au
Fri Mar 7 19:39:41 WST 2003

Craig Foster wrote:

>Hey, we can ask Intel to re-enable our Caches properly on our celeron
>CPUs - they're really just P3's that are hobbled... Or my P3 600B that
>should be a P3 800EB even...

Well the earlier P3 based Celerons actually had faster L2 cache than the
P3s did (well apart from the ones with no L2 cache - the 266 and 300
Celeries), but only a quarter of the amount.

Well I can see reasoning in charging for a faster system if they
actually replace items such as the CPU etc to upgrade your system.  But
if all they are doing is removing some sort of inhibitor present in a
system which you already own, then thats highly questionable conduct IMHO.

Because really, if this company that is providing a system to remove the
inhibitor, then what does IBM have to quarrel about really?  I mean just
because they sell you the system doesn't mean that you have to take it
to them to get services performed/upgraded on it.

Say you buy a new Holden Commodore, that doesn't bind you to getting all
work done by a Holden authorised repaired or bind you to HAVING to get
Holden genuine replacement parts for it.  You can choose who you get to
work on it and what brand of replacement parts you buy.  Maybe IBM need
to take a different stance, because essentially they are saying no you
can't get someone else to perform work on a machine purchased from us,
or install a competitors product which makes your system perform faster,
you may only purchase our product/service.  Which is a load of crap to
put it plainly IMHO.

/ Ben