[plug] Building a GUI app to generate a wordprocessed letter

Derek Fountain derekfountain at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Mar 10 18:10:09 WST 2003

This is a bit off topic, but someone on here might have experience of what I
want to do.

The requirement: user enters customer name, address, and a whole pile of
application specific information, and the system produces a letter for them
(confirming an appointment in this case).

I can do the MySQL database. I can do a front end for entering data into it.
What I don't know how to do is feed the important fields into a decent WP so
it generates a letter.

Ideally the WP would be OpenOffice, in which my user could produce the nicely
formatted skeleton of the letter. Is it possible to do a merge-on-the-fly
sort of operation in OpenOffice Writer, preferably under external script
control? The underlying format is XML, so it sounds possible...

--
"...our desktop is falling behind stability-wise and feature wise to KDE
...when I went to Mexico in December to the facility where we launched gnome,