[plug] sysfs in 2.5

Harry McNally harrymc at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Wed Mar 12 11:22:29 WST 2003

Dear PLUGers

Someone explained that my formal thank you at the talk last night was
unconscionably brief.

Hey, I thought "Thank you" <applause> was ok :-D

Seriously, thanks to Tony for his great talk about the 2.5 / 2.6 kernel.
It provided everyone with a picture of the changes that are coming along.

I think the talk was a great opening to what promises to be an interesting
technical program for PLUG this year. The number of people here (there)
demonstrated that the talks are a forum that Linux users want to
participate in.

Tony made it clear why sysfs is very cool and the new build features makes
stepping up to 2.5 very easy; although it makes sense to get your 2.4 config
in order so all your hardware and any other features are supported without
needing to know too much about the 2.5 config when you start.

There was a lot more and plenty of anecdotes from someone who is out there
doing it (who remembers the number of versions Tony had ?) and we did
discuss the lack of a definitive list of festures and not-working-features
in each version. This is why knowledge provided in Tony's talk is a great
help to people building development kernels or bracing themselves to do it :-)

So, I'd ask that we give Tony a round of applause.

----------------------------------

If anyone asks why you are clapping at your desk, just explain that you've
been carried away by the spirit and good nature of a delayed virtual talk :)
Smile beatifically if the word "geek" appears anywhere in their response ;-)

It was great. Thanks Tony. See you at the next one :-)

All the best
Harry

--
linux.conf.au 2003		The Australian Linux Technical Conference
http://conf.linux.org.au/	22-25 January 2003 in Perth, Western Australia

Are you a computer angel?	http://www.ca.asn.au/