[plug] Mandrake 9 on XBOX

Arie Hol arie99 at ozemail.com.au
Thu Mar 13 00:49:02 WST 2003

Greetings to all,

For the XBOX fans :

The March 2003 edition of 'APC' - Australian Personal Computer - has an
interesting article about modifying an XBOX and then installing Mandrake 9
on it.

It includes things such as :

1 - Making adapter cables for USB and keyboards.
2 - How to bypass boot up/access problems with the builtin HDD.
3 - How to set up a USB hub on the XBOX.
4 - Some tech. info on mod chips.
5 - A listing of commands for backing up the original XBOX installation
files - just in case you might want to revert your system back to its
original state.
6 - How to install Mandrake 9 on the XBOX (Mandrake 9 is also on the
coverdisk - but I think you need to burn the ISO image to cd first - tip
burn to a CD-RW disk, the XBOX prefers them to CD-R disks)
7 - And much, much more.

Have any of the XBOX gurus on this list seen the article yet ?

If so, I would be interested in your views about the article and how it
compares with your own experiences.

I know nothing about the XBOX - except who makes it - say no more.

It sounds like an excellent way to get a Linux capable computer up and
running for a reasonable cost.

It might even be a good way to make use of an old Commodore 64 monitor (If
this is possible?).

If you would like to respond to this email you can reply offlist, but I
think there are a lot more people out there that might like to go down this
path.

Regards Arie