[plug] [OT] Rant: plug at plug postings

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Thu Mar 13 18:27:22 WST 2003

First-up: I'm not a PLUG member, I don't particularly like Linux, I only
use Linux machines 5% of the day, and this e-mail is just a whinge.

I wanted to contrast the courteous OOo/ODBC/SQL post of Sol's with
certain other posts that have appeared on this list of that last few
months that I've been here.

On Thursday 20 February 2003 10:55 am, LinuxGuru wrote:
> I have noticed that people on this list often post
> help for their commercial enterprise and I was wondering if this is
> standard practice on this list. Other lists I am on can get quite
> indignant at some questions whilst on this list, nobody says anything
> and sometimes even helps!

Now, I don't think there's anything wrong with the behaviour described
in that question. Gosh, I don't even mind off-topic posts. BUT, some of
the questions on this list seem to push the line. I mean, the behaviour
of two particular people feels (to me) like this:

 - They sit at work, reading the documentation for some software that
   they currently use or that they have been alerted to.
 - Upon finding their needs clearly documented, they then post a message
   to this list (from their work mail addresses) asking a question whose
   most likely answer is a reference back to that exact documentation
   and product.
 - We fall for it, hook, line, and sinker.

It's basically "trolling".

Now, I'm certain that this is NOT what really happens. But someone
reading the list archives in six months' time could be forgiven for
wondering.

I'm not trying to be a troll, I just want to "vent".

PS. Please imagine that I have inserted all necessary disclaimers at the
end of this e-mail. Thanks.