[plug] [link] a lawyer Switches

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Sun Mar 16 00:57:38 WST 2003

Peter J. Nicol wrote:

>> Like any company, they're acting in /their/ best interests, something to
>> always be aware of.
>
> ummmm ...

The two aren't muturally exclusive. They're only out to further their
own profits as a final goal, but they have to take into account the need
to offer things attractive to customers in order to get business. Their
final, core motivation will be profit not public interest or being nice,
but if that furthers their final goal, they'll do it. I think you'll
find that most companies will take the "everybody wins" option
happily... so long as its also the option when they win the most.

In this case, I think that there is a significant advantage to both IBM
and their customers. OTOH, if they thought they could make more money
long term with another approach, I suspect they'd switch in a second. Of
course that must account for reputation, customer's desires and
resulting market share, etc etc.

Craig