[plug] Windows XP and Debian

Quintin Lette quintin at arach.net.au
Sun Mar 16 11:50:23 WST 2003

You need to actually copy the boot sector into a file and boot that with Lilo
(or NT loader), unfortunately I haven't done this for years, so I can't
remember how to do it with Lilo or NT loader.

I haven't actually used it on Debian, but Grub makes your life so much easier
for dual booting NT systems and Linux.

example config for grub would be

default 0
timeout 8

title linux
   kernel (hd0,1)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda2
   initrd (hd0,1)/boot/initrd
title floppy
   root (fd0)
   chainloader +1
title Windows XP
   map (hd0) (hd1)
   map (hd1) (hd0)
   rootnoverify (hd1,0)
   chainloader +1
   makeactive

obviously modifying the linux entry to find your kernel.

copying your old bootsector to floppy would be wise, then if it doesn't work
you can put that floppy in and choose floppy under grub (or boot from it)

HTH

Quintin