[plug] rm of contents

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Sun Mar 16 20:15:15 WST 2003

In message <20030316120055.GA6198 at erdos.home>
on Sun, Mar 16, 2003 at 08:00:55PM +0800, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> I woulda thought that aliases don't matter as find and xargs don't run rm in
> an interactive shell?

Depending on what shell you use and depending on how you're configured
it, aliases may be present in non-login and non-interactive shells.

Aside: if interactive is the default/requested behaviour, rm might exit
early if it encounters a situation that requires interactive input
(whereas with -f it will carry on with the remaining paths).

PS. I haven't actually looked at POSIX nor the GNU rm info page, nor
done any tests, etc.