[plug] Anti-aliased fonts with Gnome2 on Debian

Tony Breeds magni at plug.linux.org.au
Mon Mar 17 16:16:11 WST 2003

On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 03:27:20PM +0800, Ryan wrote:

> I've also read that exporting GDK_USE_XFT=1 will get it going, but where
> does one throw that when using gdm? ... testing from the console with
> startx after exporting that line doesn't start gnome - just X with no
> window manager and one xterm (i've got a few things broken here and
> there don't I?) :)

You can test it that will make a difference by opening a terminal and
doing:
GDK_USE_XFT=1 gnome-terminal <enter>
Then use xmag on a porttion of the menu to see the nice aa goodness.

Assuming this works you can do:
a) add GDK...1 to /etc/environment
b) add GDK...1 to /etc/X11/gdm/???? Oh crap I've fogotten the file
c) add GDK...1 to ~/.gnomerc (chmod 0700 .gnomrc)

Personally I used option c.  I say used because the .debs in unstable
use xft2 which does AA by default, (you use the envvar to turn it off).

Yours Tony

        Linux.Conf.AU       http://lca2004.netcraft.com.au/
        Jan 12-17 2004      The Australian Linux Technical Conference!