[plug] Windows XP and Debian

Rob Davies rob at rjdarts.com
Tue Mar 18 07:45:35 WST 2003

Hi all,

The lilo map drive code is for configuring devices to boot, mainly on a
scsi system, but also becomes applicable with mb's with raid or a second
ide bus, or for people whom want to swap drives around. 0x80 represents the
boot device.

>in lilo
>
>map-drive=0x83
>         to=0x80
>map-drive=0x80
>         to=0x83

Try this instead for lilo, I do not use grub so cant help there.
This is my lilo.conf,  with mods for your situation, save it and type lilo
on command line and enter, make sure you are root of course.

# LILO configuration file
# generated by Rob Davies 21OCT01
#
# Start LILO global section
lba32
disk = /dev/hdd
     bios=0x80
disk =/dev/hda
     bios=0x81
boot = /dev/hdd
prompt
timeout = 200
append="hdb=ide-scsi hdc=ide-scsi"
# Override dangerous defaults that rewrite the partition table:
change-rules
   reset
# Normal VGA console
vga = normal
# End LILO global section
# Linux bootable partition config begins
   image = /boot/vmlinuz
   root = /dev/hda3
   label = Debian
   read-only
# Linux bootable partition config ends
# DOS bootable partition config begins
   other = /dev/hdd1
   label = WinXP
   table = /dev/hdd
# DOS bootable partition config ends

In this setup make sure your mb's bios is pointing to windows (hdd) as it's
1'st boot hd.
In the above lilo.conf, append refers to cd's making them scsi devices,
label can be changed to what ever you require.

ciao

Rob Davies
rob at rjdarts.com
ICQ:10432219

' To converse, is one scenario that separates us, from the Apes.'