[plug] rm of contents

Mike Holland myk at plug.linux.org.au
Tue Mar 18 13:57:24 WST 2003

On Tue, 18 Mar 2003, Russell Steicke wrote:

> There is a little too much misinformation in this thread.  Perhaps some
> working examples are in order.  :)

Dont be afraid to be specific. I gotta learn.

> Notice that the * didn't get expanded in either case (for or

OK, ta, but you didnt say why. It looks like the globbing is done before
expanding shell variables.

> a bit hard to read, but it's complete.  An abbreviated rule: "Always
> double-quote shell variables".

OK, its easier than i thought. Time I read the bash reference manual
again.

> The suggestion to write everything in "real" scripting languages (where
> "real" == "not shell") is a bit harsh.  For instance, perl does

Worded harshly, but I find that shell languages are optimised for command
lines. The parsing of a shell command line is very complicated.
I guess bash vs. perl is getting religious though, so I'll stop.

> For a bigger example, apt-proxy is written in sh (#!/bin/ash), 1370

I bet it'd be less lines in perl :-)

--
Ask not for whom the telephone bell tolls...
if thou art in the bathtub, it tolls for thee.