[plug] Linux on Sparcstation 2

Harry McNally harrymc at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Tue Mar 18 19:27:27 WST 2003

On 18 Mar 2003 10:45:57 +0800 Onno Benschop <onno at itmaze.com.au> wrote:

> On Tue, 2003-03-18 at 10:33, Quintin Lette wrote:
> > Thanks Onno,
> >
> > I still can't seem to work it out, I guess I will have to order an NVRAM chip,
> > unless there is someway to bypass it.

> You could also ask around the place since there is a fair bit of Sun
> hardware installed in Perth.

Hi Quintin

Our Sparc2 NVRAM ran out of puff (the internal battery is only likely to last
5 years - ours went longer). I got a newy from RS Components but it was $28
a couple of years ago. Check the chip you are using. If it is the Dallas
one that is the one I replaced and followed some web advice about what values
to load into the new one so it made sense to the Sparc when it started.

Thee isn't much point in putting in another old one. There are details about
grinding off the plastic at some location and soldering wires from an external
battery. I know someone that has done it but I was too slack at the time and
just spent the dough on a new one.

Contact me offlist with the details and I'll have a look in the RS cattledog.

cu
Harry

--
linux.conf.au 2003		The Australian Linux Technical Conference
http://conf.linux.org.au/	22-25 January 2003 in Perth, Western Australia

Are you a computer angel?	http://www.ca.asn.au/