[plug] Dual Booting

I am the LinuxAlien linuxalien at optusnet.com.au
Wed Mar 19 19:19:06 WST 2003

NOTE: If they are on different physical disks use lilo on the windows disk
as windows has to boot off the main disk (i.e the one selected in the bios)
if they are on the same disk just use lilo. Linux doesn't have to be before
the 1024 cylinder but windows has to be the the first partition or in 2000
and xp just need a small boot partition as the first partition.
Tim

At 06:59 PM 19/03/2003 +0800, you wrote:
>>I was going to partition my 20 GB hard disk into two 10 GB partitions and
>>install Windows in one partition and Debian Linux in the other, but an ISP
>>Help Desk person told me yesterday I would have problems doing that because
>>each OS needs to start in the first 2-4 GB of the disk space.  He suggested
>>I would be much better off with two HDD's because then each OS would
>>automatically be in the first 4 B of its respective disk.
>>
>>Is that correct?
>>I would appreciate any advice you can provide, before I proceed.
>
>If your windows is an NT derivative (win2K or winXP) then it should have
>the nt loader. This can be used to handle the problem quite easily. Just
>copy the first 512 bytes of you linux boot partition after you have run
>lilo so that it is installed on the partition and NOT the MBR. These 512
>bytes is enough to bootstrap the rest of the boot process. Copy this 512
>byte file to you windows root and point to it in the boot.ini file. This
>will then give you the option of booting either your windows or linux
>partitions.

>Hotmail now available on Australian mobile phones. Go to
>http://ninemsn.com.au/mobilecentral/hotmail_mobile.asp

LinuxAlien

Riverton, Perth, WA