[plug] [Somewhat OT] X-windows server for Windows

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Fri Mar 21 16:02:39 WST 2003

> Cygwin and XFree86 should do the trick.

I've never had a problem, and they support XDMCP fine :-) . Just enable
it in gdm.conf if you're using GDM, then run X as "X -query linuxhost"
to get a normal login screen.

Also Cygwin's XFree86 port now supports rootless mode, for better
desktop integration (if that's what you want).

Using that, plus "console=/dev/tty1 console=/dev/ttyS0" on the kernel
command line, mgetty, a null-modem cable and a serial terminal program
on windows, you might be able to get away without needing a head for the
linux box at all. If you're /really/ lucky your BIOS will support
console redirection to serial as well, and you'll even be able to
manipulate the BIOS settings over a serial port (OTOH the only machine I
work with that can do that has 2 Xeons in it and "intel" written
everywhere....).

Craig