[plug] SuSE Linux

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Tue Mar 25 18:28:53 WST 2003

On Tue, Mar 25, 2003 at 12:20:54PM +0800, Quintin Lette wrote:

> I have a different issue with YOU (actually YAST2, but related)
> that is quite pesky, to the extent I'm considering moving back to
> debian on the desktop (i still use debian for all my server stuff
> and anything non-i386 anyway) which is, that on installing
> software from the distro, YAST will reinstall all the original
> dependancies over the updated ones. I found I was constantly
> moving back to KDE 3.0.3 when I had 3.0.5 installed.  I now update
> manually using rpm as I am so annoyed.  Also the Conflict errors
> can't be semi permanently suppressed, when installing 3rd party
> software (apart from creating your own rpm, that provides for the
> mismatched software, which sounds like too much effort).

Use fou4s for fast online updates. You can do the update checks and
downloads separately (by cron) and do only the installation
attended. Also, specific packages can be quarantined from update via
a config file.

> Hopefully 8.2 has addressed these issues, but I will definately
> give it a go... if YAST still has those probs, then I guess I'll
> try apt4rpm and if that still doesn't work... good-ol debian will
> be on my desktop once again :)

I've noticed nothing about YOU in the press releases, but my eyes
glaze over after 25 buzz-words...