[plug] iinet dumping their ftp archive

Derek Fountain derekfountain at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Mar 26 15:44:00 WST 2003

> Well, I guess they have to make the most of the limited resources
> available to them. It was never written anywhere when you signed up for
> iiNet "service" that they had to supply you local mirror sites.

No, but it's the bait 'n' switch thing I hate. Get lots of customers on board,
including the ones who use SuSE, Mandrake, Smoothwall, Mozilla, Openoffice,
CPAN, etc., then when supporting all those people gets too much like hard
work (or, horrors, starts eating into the bottom line), just drop support for
them.

Obviously they've never said such people would get free mirrors, because then
they'd be sued when they took the mirrors away. On the other hand, they
didn't put "we might withdraw these mirrors at any point" on their
advertising either.

Unfortunately I've no reason to believe that any other ISP would act any more
honourably. Business is business after all.

--
"...our desktop is falling behind stability-wise and feature wise to KDE
...when I went to Mexico in December to the facility where we launched gnome,