[plug] iinet dumping their ftp archive

Quintin Lette quintin at arach.net.au
Wed Mar 26 16:47:47 WST 2003

On Wed, 26 Mar 2003 04:29 pm, bob wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Mar 2003 03:36 pm, Derek Fountain wrote:
> > On Wednesday 26 March 2003 15:19, Chris Caston wrote:
> > > I never really liked using their debian mirror anyway.
> > >
> > > Oh well.
> >
> > Ironically, their debian mirror is one of the few bits they're keeping
> > and promising to keep maintained and up to date...
>
> From iiNets Marh 2003 newsletter
> - Debian.  This is for the more technical customers, who use the Linux
>   operating system.  Only the i386 archive will be maintained.
>
> Only i386? Thats not a Debian mirror as far as I'm concerned (and maybe
> explains why Sarge is broken)

So now they are going to get even more traffic when people will download it
anyway... directly! I thought the whole idea of mirroring was so that it
SAVED them money by not having the same stuff downloaded over and over.

what might be more economical (although not something that would be highly
popular with WAIX people) is taking the mirror off WAIX and having it local
only, this would probably be even more annoying to most people (including
myself being on arach.net), and possibly against the WAIX agreement, but it
would provide a better service to their customers.

Then comes the nasty crunch.. they are *possibly* doing this so that more
people do download the stuff directly and therefore going over their download
limits and spending more money, although that doesn't sound right either
except that it slows down 1/2 the people to 64k and allows for more people on
their limited bandwith.

now to convince Tucows to mirror SuSE :))

My 2 c

Quintin