[plug] WAIX Suse mirror

Ben Jensz jensz at wn.com.au
Wed Mar 26 19:55:00 WST 2003

Quintin Lette wrote:

>Are you the person to ask and what defines "enough usage"?

I'm one of :)

Well, basically enough usage really means its getting used frequently
enough to warrant using up the space for it and to warrant updating it
on a regular basis.  i.e. if there isn't at least a couple of people
using it, then its a waste of time, disk space and bandwidth in
maintaining a mirror for it.

We will basically only keep recent versions though.  For example on the
Red Hat mirror we've currently only got verion 7.3 and 8.0 os/docs/iso
sections mirrored and updates from 7.2 upwards.  Otherwise the amount of
disk space it utilises just blows out immensely.  So we won't be able to
mirror everything that everyone might want, but we'll be able to do the
more popular/mainstream stuff.  If something is small though, it has a
higher chance of appearing on there.  Currently we are down to 10Gb free
space on it, hence another drive is on the way, but I don't want to
immediately fill that up either.

/ Ben