[plug] Re: Wars with Browser

Arie Hol arie99 at ozemail.com.au
Mon Mar 31 23:49:08 WST 2003

>>On Mon, 2003-03-31 at 20:00, Bernard Blackham wrote:

8< --snip-- >8

>>Funny thing is I get the feeling that something in their scripts tests
>>what browser the client is using and dumps them if they are using Linux.

8< --snip-- >8

For any body who is interested :

When a user enters a URL into his browser or clicks on an active link - to
visit 'a website' - the browser sends a 'request'  to the web server at the
URL specified/selected by the user.

This request contains a  certain amount of specific information about the
browser, and its current configuration - set out below are some requests
from the different browsers that I use.

These requests were captured using a webserver which is a Perl script,
however the requests are exactly the same as would be sent to any other type
of webserver - Apache, IIS, AOL, etc....

All of the following requests have had the 'Host' details removed.

The first one (libwww-perl/5.63) is a Perl script which the user runs from
the command line.

GET / HTTP/1.1
Connection: close

As you can see in the following, it is not difficult to determine which
version of browser and OS are being used at the client end.

GET / HTTP/1.0
Connection: Keep-Alive
Accept-Charset: iso-8859-1,*,utf-8

GET / HTTP/1.1
Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate, compress;q=0.9
Accept-Charset: ISO-8859-1, utf-8;q=0.66, *;q=0.66
Keep-Alive: 300
Connection: keep-alive

GET / HTTP/1.1
Accept: image/gif, image/x-xbitmap, image/jpeg, image/pjpeg,
application/x-shockwave-flash, */*
Connection: Keep-Alive

GET / HTTP/1.1

GET / HTTP/1.1
Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate, compress;q=0.9
Accept-Charset: ISO-8859-1, utf-8;q=0.66, *;q=0.66
Keep-Alive: 300
Connection: keep-alive

GET / HTTP/1.0
Connection: Keep-Alive
Accept-Charset: iso-8859-1,*,utf-8

As you can  see, some of them contain a great deal of information, so the
webservers don't need to test the browser - because the browser sends the
info anyway, but there are valid reasons for this.

Regards Arie