[plug] Oh Well

Garry garbuck at westnet.com.au
Thu May 1 17:34:25 WST 2003

Kwinana Arts Centre is going to get into Linux..

I have been speaking to Ian Ashton there, and this is the entry in the latest KAC magazine "Artifacts".

<quote>
"Linux is a complete computer operating system which looks and feels very much like Windows, and does all the types of things that we expect from computers except that it is all shareware. This means that you do not need to have licences for any of the software, and it is therefore gaining immense popularity with users around the world.

Starting Wed 14 May and running for four weeks each Wednesday evening, the Arts Centre's lower foyer will become home to Linux as we run free introductory workshops in the system, primarily aimed at getting people interested and started on using the software.

You are welcome to bring your own machine to get it converted, or just come along and see what the system has to offer. It really is amazing. The Arts Centre will have two Linux machines in the internet cafe so if you would like to come along and see what it is all about, come and join us.

We will be using the big screen projector for demonstrations which should make seeing what is going on nice and easy. For more information phone 9439 0290"

</quote>

Fellow Pluggers.. This is all his own work, I merely offered to put Linux on a couple of machines to join his Internet Cafe to be there as a demo for 'net users.. I didn't put the ideas up of "shareware" and "no licences"..

I'll be there and I'll try to give presentations and installations. I'll use my desktop box as a demo and fileserver (a la Installfest), so at least most of it will be operating..

If anyone is interested in stepping up and helping with talks, installations or morale support let me know. There is a coffee shop there too so refreshments are available. If there are gamers on Linux who'd like to "gee whizz" them with bf1942 on Wine, or Quake3 running network games (using your own computer I guess) that'd be cool too.

Regards

Garry