[plug] troubleshooting a bootup problem

Andrew Furey simpware at yahoo.com
Sat May 3 09:10:04 WST 2003

> Is there a way to slow down the booting up process?
> During bootup the server stops after about lines
into
> the EXT3 loading process with a garbled line.
> What I want to do is either slow down the boot
> process so I can see what isn't loading or what has
> loaded last before the error.

If you're on a recent RedHat you can probably press
"I" to enter an interactive mode, whereby you can
confirm each process start with a key (at least that's
how it used to work).

Otherwise, toggling the Pause/Break key (I think
that's the right one) should pause the output of the
screen so you can see it that way. In theory, anyway.

Andrew

=====
Linux supports the notion of a command line or a shell for the same
reason that only children read books with only pictures in them.
Language, be it English or something else, is the only tool flexible
enough to accomplish a sufficiently broad range of tasks.
                          -- Bill Garrett