[plug] cannot get system to run init on bootup

Jon Miller jlmiller at mmtnetworks.com.au
Mon May 5 12:14:40 WST 2003

Cannot write anything to the system anywhere.  The furthest the system can boot to freeing the memory after loading EXT3 file system.  The root filesystem has loaded as ro and kjournald started.  The next thing to load is init which loads the /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit script. no matter what I try it does not load this.
If I rim out the ram disk (/boot/initrd-2.4.......) what do I load then?

Jon L. Miller, MCNE, CNS
Director/Sr Systems Consultant
MMT Networks Pty Ltd
http://www.mmtnetworks.com.au

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure
 is trying to please everybody." -Bill Cosby

>>> paul at thecave.ws 10:33:21 AM 5/05/2003 >>>
Hya Jon,

Are you in your lilo|grub conf file trying to run initrd ?
If so comment it out, for some reasons the ramdisk image becomes corrupt and
can't load in memory.
The error message usually says some thing like "Unable to start init, adjust
your kernel parameters with root= ..."

This has usually fixed most init boot problems.

HTH

Thanks...

Paul.

## Remember: Live your life as if you are on a stage before the whole of
creation.