[plug] ADSL - was: *NOTHING*

Alex Le Dain alex at icon-tech.com.au
Mon May 5 12:50:21 WST 2003

><<snipped>>
>
>>and to simplify it I reduced the network to:
>
>>redhat8machine---ADSLmodem+-----phoneline-----internet
>
>What is this ADSL modem? I'm asking because many people call ADSL
>routers,
>"modems". Before I got ADSL, I read up on all sorts of things including
>pppoe, and went through installations of software. I then chose an
>ALCATEL
>SpeedTouch Pro 4 port router, and could safely forget everthing.
>I just had
>to define the router as my default route (10.0.0.138 in my case)
>and I was
>out and surfing. Alternatively, I could tell my Linux box that the
>router
>was a DHCP server, with the same results.

The "modem" is an Alcatel Speed Touch "Home". I don't know whether it is a router or not. The MAC software we have talking to it at the moment uses the static ip address and the gateway ip address supplied by our isp. I also know they have a broadast address. all of these addresss must be used somewhere, but perhaps it's not as hard as I think and I should just set a default route. What do you reckon?

--
Alexander C. Le Dain, PhD
Manager of Programming