[plug] ADSL - was: *NOTHING*

Richard Meyer meyerri at au1.ibm.com
Mon May 5 13:11:58 WST 2003

----- Forwarded by Richard Meyer/Australia/Contr/IBM on 05/05/2003 01:02 PM
-----

                      Alex Le Dain
                      <alex at icon-tech.c        To:       <plug at plug.linux.org.au>
                      om.au>                   cc:
                                               Subject:  Re: [plug] ADSL - was: *NOTHING*
                      05/05/2003 12:50
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      plug

>><<snipped>>
>>
>>>and to simplify it I reduced the network to:
>>
>>>redhat8machine---ADSLmodem+-----phoneline-----internet
>>
>>What is this ADSL modem? I'm asking because many people call ADSL
>>routers,
>>"modems". Before I got ADSL, I read up on all sorts of things including
>>pppoe, and went through installations of software. I then chose an
>>ALCATEL
>>SpeedTouch Pro 4 port router, and could safely forget everthing.
>>I just had
>>to define the router as my default route (10.0.0.138 in my case)
>>and I was
>>out and surfing. Alternatively, I could tell my Linux box that the
>>router
>>was a DHCP server, with the same results.
>>

>The "modem" is an Alcatel Speed Touch "Home". I don't know whether it is a
router or not. The MAC software we >have talking to it at the moment uses
the static ip address and the gateway ip address supplied by our isp. I
>also know they have a broadast address. all of these addresss must be used
somewhere, but perhaps it's not as >hard as I think and I should just set a
default route. What do you reckon?

One of the guys who worked here had one of those. Unfortunately he's left,
so I can't ask him any questions, but I certainly would give it a try.
Remember to tell Linux about your ISP's nameservers, too.

The difference here may be that the Pro sits up front and has the static IP
address, while everything else hangs off it behind as a lan that is
(hopefully) inaccessible from the 'net.

Heck, I'm no expert, but I had one machine set up and running within 10
minutes with the help of the support people at Westnet. Admittedly, I
booted into Windows and let them talk me through it, and then did the same
in Linux afterwards. No problems. No pppoe. No special software.

RIchardM