[plug] ADSL - was: *NOTHING*

Alex Le Dain alex at icon-tech.com.au
Wed May 7 07:53:24 WST 2003

On 6/05/2003 11:20 AM, plug wrote:

>.... different. Are you sure its not setting up a PPPoE connection
>and  acquiring those addresses during PPP negotiation with the ISP?

It probably is setting up pppoe, but the addresses are put into the config part of the Mac program. I need to know where to put them in the pppoe program under linux.

>> I also know they have a broadast address. all of these addresss
>must be used somewhere, but perhaps it's not as hard as I think and
>I should just set a default route. What do you reckon?
>
>If you have a SpeedTouch home, that's unlikely.
>
>Its possibe you have a "Layer 3" DSL service if its very old - in
>that case setting a default route + the correct IP and netmask will make
>it work fine. This is unlikely though, I think telstra forced all layer
>3 customers to layer 2 DSL a while back anyway. I jumped ship before
>that so I'm not sure.

Well actually, I did get it to work without using pppoe, simply by setting the IP address of the NIC to the static IP address and the correct gateway route, so I suspect that it must be the old (3) style (either that or I am even more confused !). In any event, we're upgrading the speed of the line in the next week or so and will probably be in Layer2 mode then, and will need pppoe for sure then.

>Important pitfall to be aware of: you must not set an IP address
>on the interface connected to your DSL modem. "ifconfig ethX 0.0.0.0" to
>make sure (where ethX is your DSL ethernet iface, conventionally eth1
>but depends on how you've connected things up).

I understand this a bit better now. One additional question, if I want to use the same network card for both the internal LAN and the adsl, then I set up eth0 to have no IP address and an "alias" ie eth0:0 for the LAN. Is this correct or should they be eth0:0 and eth0:1?

--
Alexander C. Le Dain, PhD
Manager of Programming