[plug] Prevent downloads

James Elliott James.Elliott at wn.com.au
Wed May 7 14:22:23 WST 2003

Hi Simon

You asked what "an Alloy server" is.

There are a number of inexpensive devices which:
* act as a gateway
* share the Internet to as many computers as you like
* share e-mail addresses - i.e. the company can have one address and the
server can share this among 50 or 100 staff, for example, your ISP might
allocate you  mybiz at bigpond.com and the server can then allocate it's own
internal addresses, like sue.mybiz at bigpond.com , jane.mybiz at bigpond.com ,
fred.mybiz at bigpond.com
etc ...
* act as a DHCP server allocating IP addresses to each computer/device on
the LAN

Two popular brands that I have used in the past are  D-Link and Alloy
Alloy also makes a large range of internet cards, hubs, switches and other
network gear

I hope that helps.

James Elliott