[plug] Prevent downloads

Jon Miller jlmiller at mmtnetworks.com.au
Wed May 7 22:00:42 WST 2003

I know in the Novell Squid Proxy app you can set it to 0bytes to
restrict downloading. There may be a similar feature in the squid app.

Found this on the net.
Install a squid proxy first ... Then use transparent-proxy to redirect
all your
traffic trough the proxy server. And I think , but I'm not sure, that you can limit
the size of the documents the proxy allows . I think setting a limit of 200-300k is
good .... That for httpd downloads ... And you should cut the ftp port ... And your
users won't be able to download using ftp ... And remains one method of downloading :
ftp-mail .... But that shouldn't be a problem .. You can always limit the size of the
e-mails in sendmail ...

    Another solution would be, if you have a realy big server , and I mean big , You
can install netcape on the server, and install on your users computers an X server
... Install quota on the server ... Your users will use the netscape on the server ,
so they will not be able to save anything on there hdd's ...

Jon

--
Jon Miller <jlmiller at mmtnetworks.com.au>
MMT Networks Pty Ltd