[plug] Mandrake 9.1

Tim Bowden bowden at iinet.net.au
Fri May 9 10:33:04 WST 2003

Simon Scott wrote:

>I would take that a step further and say its the best linux ever made.
>
>Why would someone with more advanced skills dislike the ease of installation,
>or the lack of bugs?

I have installed (or tried to) Mandrake twice- and both times I didn't
like it.  The first time in mid 2000 (what version would that have
been?) I had to do some fiddling with the partition table (1024 cyl
limit stuff with duel boot) and I needed fdisk-   that was as far as I
got before going back to rh in disgust.  If it wasn't going to provide
decent tools in the installer then I wasn't interested.

The second time was about 6 or 8 months ago when I installed it for a
friend.  It was ok but it seemed to tell me less about what it was doing
than rh does which I didn't like.

 Does mandrake still dislike 486's?  Does it do a decent text based
install?  If I'm putting linux on an old box then it sometimes won't
have the grunt to do a gui install.

Just my 2c worth

Tim  Bowden