[plug] Mandrake 9.1

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Fri May 9 12:35:12 WST 2003

> Mandrake's always had a bit of a problem with older hardware. Remember that
> they started out in the early Pentium days, offering RH with all RH
> references changed to Mandrake, but with more bleeding edge packages and
> kernels optimised for Pentium. Just the way they positioned themselves. Ran
> faster on a Pentium than bog standard RH did.

They could really do with upping their requirements to PPro (i686) and
above now. i586 code can be slower on i686 than i386 optimised code due
to the funny way Intel designed the Pentium. Or so I've heard. Anyway,
would you run a recent mandrake on a Pentium? You'd need big RAM and HDD
upgrades.

As it is, I'm using RH with a custom kernel, plus glibc and XFree86
recompiled for Athlon. Its working quite well enough. Now, if only RH's
update procedures didn't suck so much... (hey redhat, ever heard of
MIRRORS?!?)

Craig