Capabilities of older hardware (was Re: [plug] Mandrake 9.1)

Scott Middleton scott at linuxit.com.au
Fri May 9 16:07:37 WST 2003

The DSL Modem is connected to my switch as is the Laptop and my other
computers.
I don't use the Wireless all that much and as i understand it, it takes
quite a while to crack WEP especially if I rotate the WEP key.

On Fri, 2003-05-09 at 15:53, Craig Ringer wrote:
    > PCMCIA Wireless Card and 10 NIC
    > 512/128 PPPoE

    You have DSL, right - how are you getting by w/o 2 NICs. Do you not have
    a wired LAN at all, just run with only 802.11b? (*shudders* at security
    implications of that unless you have ipsec going internally)

    I'm going to have to replace my firewall soon because its only got 2 PCI
    slots, and I can't find a dual-port NIC for a decent price. I need 3 NICs:
    	eth0: lan
    	eth1: inet
    	eth2: 802.11b

    where the firewall routes between the 802.11b and wired ethernet
    networks, doing MAC address checking, possibly requiring IPsec, etc. I
    don't trust 802.11b one tiny bit, and I sure don't want to give
    unrestricted wireless access to my main LAN to anybody driving past.

    > Actually old Laptops are very handy.

    But very, very limited. Can't drop in a PCI card or two - which is why
    I'm not using my Gateway Solo 5150 ( PII/300, 64mb RAM ) as a firewall
    right now.

    Then again, my firewall is an old DEC box a friend gave me. It had a
    P200 in it, and we clocked it down to 166Mhz then replaced the fan with
    a big heatsink from an IBM P100 (which run fanless). The PSU fan is near
    silent - the loudest part is the HDD and that's ridiculously quiet, its
    a 30gig Western Digital 5400rpm job.

    > Cheap Wireless cards, sort of built-in UPS(battery). Got my modem hooked
    > up to it and one day I'll get around to making it into answering machine
    > as well.
    > All running Vanilla Debian Woody.

    ... like 90% of the linux firewalls on the planet, I suspect.

--
Scott Middleton
Linux Information Technology
scott at linuxit.com.au