Capabilities of older hardware (was Re: [plug] Mandrake 9.1)

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Fri May 9 16:31:15 WST 2003

On Fri, May 09, 2003 at 04:20:02PM +1000, Andrew Furey wrote:
| /me takes stock...
|
| P100, 32Mb RAM, 64Mb swap, 30Gb + 60Gb hard disks,
| 512/128 ADSL, 3 network cards (ADSL, LAN, wireless
| AP), 30Gb software RAID1 array.
|
| bind (local domain + caching), DHCP server, samba,
| distributed.net client (doesn't quite count I
| suppose), PPPoE, apache, ipac providing traffic stats
| with a home-grown web interface, other iptables
| filtering.

I have a 133MHz Cyrix, no L2 cache, 64Mb RAM/90Mb swap, 6GB drive, 2
network cards - runs bind, dhcpd, samba print server, apache, ftpd,
exim, squid, VPN, and a nightly backup of (most of) my home dir.  Not
pppoe 'cos the DSL modem handles that side of things.

| All perfectly doable :)  Although I don't run a local
| proxy because I don't think it would handle it (squid
| eats RAM for lunch I gather).

It should be fine.  I have a 500MB Squid cache which normally gets a
~10-20% hit rate on web traffic (except for large downloads, of course)
and kills most WWW adverts with jesred.  The machine originally had 32mb
RAM and was coping with it fine (from memory, free reported ~15mb RAM
used + 20mb swap used; now it reports 30mb RAM used + 20mb swap).  ATM
Squid itself is using 12mb (according to top) + ~.5mb * 8 for jesred.
One trick to reduce memory usage is to put
	cache_mem 0 MB
in your squid.conf so that way it won't try to cache objects in swap :)

Cameron.